The Village of Lincolnshire has provided additional details on the new sign restrictions that go into effect on June 3, 2019. Any signs that do not meet the new code requirements regarding the size, location, or display period must be taken down by June 3, 2019. Any future signs must fully meet Code.
The new rules stipulate all temporary signs (including real estate signs) in the Residential Sign District can be no larger than two square feet in size and can only be displayed for 180 days at a time; after which they must be removed for 14 days. This is the second amendment to the sign code over the last year with the previous rules limiting sign duration to 90 days.
The new requirements for the Residential Sign District real estate signs include:
- Signs along internal streets (i.e., all streets, except Riverwoods Road and Half Day Road) can be up to 4’ in height (as measured from the adjacent grade to the highest point of the sign structure/pole) and have a sign panel of up to 2 square feet in area. The panel area includes any optional riders attached to the sign. This is the same size standards as in Lake Forest and Lake Bluff.
- Signs along the Riverwoods Road and Half Day Road arterial streets can be up to 6’ in height (as measured from the adjacent grade to the highest point of the sign structure/pole) and have a sign panel of up to 16 square feet in area. This panel area includes any optional riders attached to the sign.
- Only one (1) freestanding real estate sign is permitted on any property, including corner lots. For corner lots, the code-compliant real estate sign may be installed on either frontage at the discretion of the homeowner and/or broker.
- Signs may be installed on private property only, 5’ from the nearest lot line.
- The maximum sign display period is 180 days after which time the sign must be removed for 14 days. It can be then reinstalled for another 180 days, removed for 14 days and so forth until the property is sold or leased. There is no limit on how many times a sign can go back up.
- Signs must be removed within 5 business days of the property sale or lease.
- Signs may not be attached to fences, trees, and similar structures.
- Signs must remain in compliance with code and in good condition and may be subject to immediate removal due to poor condition and disrepair, as determined by the Village.
- No permit from the Village is required prior to sign installation.
If you have questions or encounter issues with the new regulations, please contact Joe Roth, Local Government Affairs Director for Illinois REALTORS®, or Tonya Zozulya, Planning & Development Manager for the Village of Lincolnshire.